Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Elmer the Elephant



Have you ever heard of Elmer? He is a very unique elephant! My students love to listen to stories about him and there are a wide variety to choose from! 


This week we also did a project to go along with our Elmer stories! 

The first thing I needed was an Elmer template. I was lucky to find the perfect one at Chelsey's blog called Buggy and Buddy. To grab her Elmer template click here. She uses this template for a wonderful sponge painting activity! After I grabbed the template, I blew it up on card stock as big as I could get it (actually, my husband did it because the copy machine and I are not on speaking terms right now.)


I had prepared ahead of time by cutting small pieces of tissue paper in assorted colors. My students dipped the tissue paper in the glue sponges and placed them on their Elmer. When they were done they cut their elephants out.




The next day, each child wrote about being one of a kind just like Elmer. Since I have a classroom of first and second graders this year it was nice to see the differences in writing styles and thoughts. Each child displayed their writing and their Elmers on construction paper. I think they came out wonderfully and the kids really enjoyed the activity!










3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I can't wait to use this with my class tomorrow. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Does your writing template link still work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, and I'm not sure why. Send me your email at campingteacher@gmail.com and I will be happy to send it to you!

    ReplyDelete